First things first
As the very first post on our Photography section of the blog, we thought that it would be a good idea to show you guys which equipment we are taking with us and to make some recommendations to other travellers who want to take good pics of the road.
We came up with this travel photography kit that we think best suits a couple travelling who aren’t professionals photographers but are interested in photography…
- One good compact camera with great zoom lens and not as heavy as typical DSLR’s. Should be easy to use, light, portable, have a good zoom but at the same time cover a wide range of millimetres on the focal length, record HD video, full manual controls over ISO, shutter speed and aperture. Not much to ask for the main camera right? Well, the Canon PowerShot SX50 HS covers all of this features and more. It`s not the best camera in the market, but it will fit by far all the necessities of fellow travellers who want to take good pictures with a basic knowledge of photography. It has a 50X zoom lens which is equivalent to a focal length of 24-1200mm, 12.1 Megapixel sensor, a 4.5-stop optical image stabiliser, ISO range 80-6400, the maximum aperture of the lens is f/3.4 at 24mm, slowing to f/6.5 at the full 1200mm, shutter speed goes from 15 seconds to 1/1600 making it quite descent for night shots with a proper tripod and good for shooting fast moving objects at daylight, full 1080p HD movie recording with stereo sound and a HDMI port. Here’s the full review of the camera on a photography blog.
- A small camera for taking video and pictures on some of our adventures, portable of course but also resistant and waterproof, have a wide angle for interiors or close captions…yeah, you know what we are thinking of…a GoPro like camera. The one we are taking is a GoPro Hero 3. Nothing to add here as many people know about this cameras, the Hero 3 records in HD, has built-in WiFi and we have the waterproof case. Here’s the review of the camera.
- Extra cameras for quick shots, well, this can be done with our phones cameras! A Samsung Galaxy S6 and iPhone 6 cameras will take awesome pics on the right hands! =D
- Camera Accessories. Here you may want to keep it with the key word…”portable”, but if you have more space, like if you are living in a van for example… 😉 you can have more accessories like a big tripod. But as for now, we have two 16 GB SDHC Class 10 memory cards for the Canon, one 16 GB microSDHC Class 10 for the GoPro, one bag for the Canon camera, one waterproof and the standard case for the GoPro.
- Extras: Travel Photography Book. We bought this book about travel photography that covers all the basic knowledge of photography itself and the topics related to traveling and taking pictures, dealing with events, landscapes and people, editing and publishing on the web.
And last but not least, we want to invite you to follow us in our instagram account where we are gonna share some amazing travel pictures!