During our stay with French friends on their farm in Brittany, France, we were introduced to an exciting beverage: Water Kefir. We made it, and drank it, for about a week. It is a tasty and healthy beverage that you can prepare very easily from home, so we decided to make a blog post to share with you guys what it’s all about!
So what is water kefir exactly?
Water kefir is a fermented beverage made with probiotic bacteria. It’s very simple to prepare and brew. Even small children can enjoy it because you can put different ingredients for interesting flavours. It has a slightly sweet, earthy, yeasty flavour, depending on how it’s prepared. Sometimes it can be a bit fizzy, especially if there’s more yeast in the brew.
It’s a magnificent source of beneficial bacteria for your gut. Amongst the many nutrients, you can find a variety of enzymes and organic acids, a range of B vitamins, vitamin K and folic acid.
Kefir means “feel good” in Turkish. Water kefir is also known as tibicos, tibi, sugar kefir, Japanese water crystals, bebees, Australian bees, African bees, California Bees, ale nuts, balm of Gilead or beer seeds.
Water kefir is made with kefir grains—small, translucent, gelatinous structures comprised of assorted bacteria and yeasts—water, and sugars. Water kefir grains are translucent, white and break easily when squeezed between the fingers. They resemble irregular crystals. Water kefir is a good option if you don’t want to consume dairy products. Kombucha, Sauerkraut and rejuvelac are other similar probiotic drinks you can try.
Don’t worry if you see that the recipe contains sugar because the bacterias eat the sugar—the kefir needs to live in a sugar medium. Water kefir is also suitable for diabetics in small quantities provided they monitor their blood sugar level, nevertheless consult with your doctor before taking any home made probiotic beverage if you have any chronical disease.
You can brew water kefir with a variety of fruits, coconut water, and various kinds of sugars, all of which come together to produce complex and beautiful flavours. After you have brewed your water kefir, it is easy to add other flavours too.
Benefits of Water Kefir
Drinking Water Kefir is very beneficial for your health, it can strengthen your immune system, and help to prevent diseases of all kinds. Most importantly, it restores good digestion—the key to health and longevity. Here’s a list of the known benefits of drinking Kefir Water (provided by growyouthful.com):
- Inhibits the growth of unfriendly bacteria and yeasts, and helps beneficial probiotic microorganisms to colonise and thrive in your digestive tract, and throughout the test of the body (skin, eyes, bladder, vagina, nose, throat, etc).
- Contributes to a healthy immune system.
- Reduces inflammation.
- Helps with the digestion of food and micronutrients. The KEY for health and longevity is good digestion, and a balance of good bacteria are the essential starting point.
- Heals, or reduces the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome IBS) including bloating, indigestion, flatulence, diarrhoea/constipation, nausea, low energy, muscle aches and pains.
- Heals intestinal dysbiosis and SIBO (small intestine bacterial overgrowth).
- Increased energy and overall feeling of good health.
- Can stop unhealthy food cravings, especially for sugars and sweet foods.
- Skin complexion and overall condition improves. Brown liver spots / age spots can fade, as can skin tags, moles, warts etc. It can ease or cure many skin conditions, such as psoriasis, eczema and acne.
- Hair and nails look healthier, and are strengthened and improved.
- Liver cleansing, as in traditional Chinese medicine, thus easing aches and joint pains, and benefiting the eyes.
- Glandular (endocrine) system (adrenals, thyroid, pituitary, ovaries) benefits. Women have healthier periods, some women have periods start again after early menopause.
- A tranquillising effect on the nervous system has helped many who suffer from sleep disorders and insomnia, depression, ADHD and autism.
As you can see the list is very long, so why don’t give it a try?
Here are the ingredients for making a simple Water Kefir;
- 20 grams of Water Kefir grains (they are a bit difficult to find but you can ask on your local organic food store, or order them online)
- 1 lemon (two slices per litre)
- 2 dried figs (for flavour, you can use other dried fruits as well)
- 10 grams of cane sugar
- 1 glass bottle or jar (1 litre approximately)
- A fine non metal mesh for cooking (for filtering the contents after the brew)
- Take the water kefir grains and put them in the glass bottle.
- Cut two slices of lemon and add them with the dried figs to the bottle
- Pour two and a half tablespoons of cane sugar into the bottle (10 grams)
- Add water to fill the bottle
- Put the lit on the bottle and leave it to ferment for 48 hours in a place out of direct sun light.
- After 48 hours, take the bottle and use the mesh to filter the water into another recipient.
- Separate the water kefir grains and wash them. You can use them for another batch (usually you will have more than before as the bacteria eats the sugar and grows)
- Drink and enjoy!
Here’s the video on our Water Kefir experience – Be sure to suscribe to the channel!
So that’s it for today. I hope you try it and start enjoying the benefits! This is our little grain of sand to improve your health! 🙂
Thanks for your support! Follow us on our social accounts to stay up to date with our latests posts and adventures! We would love to see you here again. Thank you for passing by!